Vol. VI. Music for Dining

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." AI

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

brokeback

So Mike, Rose, and I went to see Brokeback Mountain last night. Before we left Mike and I had a 5 minute talk about which theater to go to.. It's playing at the Boardman and Beverly (and Savoy but who ever goes to Savoy). We ended up deciding to go to Beverly because of course, the seats are more comfortable. I really didn't care either way. Well, we go to buy our tickets and 3 17-year-olds with central Illinois accents are behind the counter. When we said we were seeing Brokeback they broke out laughing... you know... cause it's about gay people... and they like DO IT and stuff. fucking fags. then the kids go on to talk about how many gays have been going to see the movie and how much raunchy gay making out has been going on in the theater because this movie is being shown. Then one kid starts bragging about how he caught a gay couple kissing during the movie... he sat down next to them and said something to the effect of 'CAUGHT YA!". The worst thing about this conversation that was happening around us, was that these stupid kids didn't make any attempt to hide what they were saying. They said it loud and proud and had no fear of who heard them. It was like everyone in the theater thought gay people were sick and me, rose, and mike were the weird ones. ...sigh... there's a part of me that wishes we saw it at boardman because I doubt we would have had to deal with that awkwardness. I'm sorta glad I heard that bullshit though before seeing the movie. It was a real wake up call for me about how much discrimination still exists in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home